Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sheffield United Away

Just before I went to sleep last night I remembered to swap back to my English sim card. I put my phone on loud.

I went to sleep. At 3 AM I woke to a beep. It was the text, from Charles, as on every match evening. It simply said:

Blades 1-3 WOLVES! Madness.

That exclamation mark means everything. I don't expect you to understand.

I woke up again at 7 AM for work and it was still true.

I cannot describe this.

***

THEN (and marvel at my ability to span this post over two days, dear reader), I got home after two pitchers of Royal Challenge having watched England get thrashed by India AGAIN, and the television told of 3 people dead in Mumbai in attacks, more being held hostage.

Everyone was pretty silent. We changed the channel to lighten the mood then changed back 'cause that seemed silly. I went to bed.

I woke up and it was still true. 101 people had died.

This world...

No comments: